Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I've Got Problems ... or At Least an Opinion

Most people who know me know that I tend to get on my soap box once in a while. Well, maybe more than once in a while. Here are a few things that have previously inspired me to get all soap boxy:

* James Garner - who didn't ever graduate from high school because he was a trouble-maker while in school - getting a whole freaking corridor named after him in Norman. I have nothing against the guy personally, but I would like to see things like a corridor named after people who have contributed to our community. Maybe people who have done something besides be an excellent actor (which he is, especially after seeing him in The Notebook ... cried my eyes out...).

* That people said the Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin's death via fish was a "freak accident." Anyone who routinely and purposefully puts themselves in harms way that often has got it coming. I mean seriously. Even if it were unusual, how unusual was it really for someone who wrestled crocodiles. (I also find it fitting that the ship in Whale Wars is called the Steve Irwin... you really want to name your ship after someone who died in the water? Isn't that kind like naming your boat the Titanic?)

* That people are so super rude when dropping off and picking up their kids at schools and don't follow the simple rules.

* Cheaters. Can't stand cheaters of any kind.

* Passive aggressiveness. In general.

There are other things that really irk me. However, I normally find myself to be amicable. Are you laughing at me yet?

I have always found myself to be someone who really hates confrontation. But lately, I have found myself the lone voice in a crazy world. Well maybe not the lone voice, but the minority for sure. And what IS crazy is that I have been embracing the confrontations head on.

In this really great weekend class I had a couple of weeks ago called "Psychosocial Aspects of Disability" we talked about lots of hot-button topics, such as assisted suicide, human genome project, abortion, Eugenics, etc. What happened in that class surprised me - sort of. I have been warned by some fellow Christ followers that my opinions on such topics would be in the minority. But I guess it surprised me how in the minority I was, and that I still spoke my beliefs.

I am sure that everyone in the class thought I was close minded for thinking that life begins at conception, and that we, as helping professionals, have a responsibility to help sustain life instead of assisting in its demise (generally speaking of course). But when I was talking, I didn't care. I know they thought I was irrational and weak minded, but the thing was is that I knew better. I have the Truth of God's Word on my side.

Ten years ago, even though I was a new Christian, I would have no more voiced my different opinion on topics like that than I would have worn orange on an OU game day. But something really cool has happened to me since then. I have grown more confident, not in myself, but in my identity in Christ. It is such a freeing feeling to know that all I have to cling to is the truth and no matter what anyone says or does, the Word of God is true.

I am beginning a study on the Gospel of Jesus Christ as written in John. This Gospel has been referred to as the spirit filled Gospel. And what that says to me is that it is truth. I am who Christ made me to be. I can stand firm in that knowledge. And I can speak my mind, even if that means people will disagree with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment