Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The First 5 Random Facts: For My Boys

Dear Ryan and Will,

This is the first of hopefully many blogs that I will be writing for you about me. You might someday want to know some things about your mom that you might have missed or just didn't know about.

I read this blog where they list 30 things your kids should know about you. The first on the list is 20 random facts about me. Today we will just start with 5.

1. When I was 24 I was the Emergency Services Director for the Hearth of Oklahoma Chapter of the American Red Cross. I had worked there 5 weeks and 2 days when the May 3, 1999, tornadoes swept through our counties. I was temporarily in charge of the Red Cross' local response to the largest tornado ever recorded. There so much I could tell you about this, but the random fact I want to share is that Katie Couric interviewed me on national television on May 4, 1999. She was talking through an ear piece and I answered her questions. The news cast did not run locally because of OKC's tornado coverage, but it did run nationally. I had friends from across the country who saw the interview. When she interviewed me I had barely slept, I had on no makeup, I was wearing the clothes I wore the day before and my hair was in a pony tail. And it was super cool.


2. My first car was a midnight blue 1965 Mustang convertible that Bubby got for me. When I was about 12, Bubby told me to pick out a classic car that he could fix up for me. I think he did that since he never was able to drive. That car was super fast and super fun to drive. It was a 4-speed and learning to drive a stick was hard. I hope you boys learn to drive a stick. It's the only way to really drive.


3. I never partied in high school. I mean, I had fun and went to a few get togethers with friends. But I never got drunk and I never did drugs. I had great friends and was in the right crowd. This was important to me because I cared about my future and I cared about my soccer team. I couldn't let them down. When my senior year started, I remember asking a boy what he did over the summer and he said he puked a lot. I thought he meant he was sick a lot, but he corrected me quickly to let me know that meant he partied a lot. I don't regret walking a straight line in high school. People sometimes make bad decisions when they are young and drunk or high. I hope you will avoid drugs and alcohol, especially in high school. There is too much at stake for you to lose by making a bad choice.


4. Since I became a Christian in 1999, life hasn't always been easy. In fact, life has been especially difficult at times. And although I have not always understood God;s plan and even have been angry with him at times, I have never doubted that he exists and that he loves me. Your faith will increase at times and fade away at other times. Just remember to never lose hope that God is in control and he loves you even more than your dad and I do.


5. I love to write. I mean, I really, really love it. You know that I was a print journalist before becoming a counselor. I did this mostly because I loved writing and I loved people. It was a great marriage! Although I still write, I don't write creatively as often as I wish I could. This blog will be one way I do that; it will let me express myself, write to you boys and let you get to know a side of me you maybe didn't know before. I have written lots of blogs, lots of stories and lots of other stuff. These blogs to you boys will be the most important things I will ever write because you boys and your dad are the most important things in my life.


That's all for now. I hope you learned something about me you didn't know. I love you both with all my heart!


Love,


Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment